Join one of the world’s largest banking and financial services organisations! Our Client’s global businesses serve more than 40 million customers worldwide through a network that covers 64 countries and territories.
- The Head of Engineering is responsible for leading the technical direction of the Chief Technologies Office’s Engineering practice. This includes overseeing the design and development of software and applications, ensuring that they meet the highest standards of quality, scalability, and security. Ensure that all software and applications meet the highest standards of quality, scalability, and security.
- Define and implement best practices for software development, including coding standards, code reviews, and testing methodologies.
- The Head of Engineering will be responsible for collaborating with key stakeholders, including product owners, architects, and other engineering leaders to ensure that the technology strategy aligns with the business goals of CTO.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to define the technology strategy that aligns with the business goals of the bank.
- Develop and maintain relationships with vendors and partners to ensure that the bank is leveraging the latest technology innovations.
- Reporting to the CTO Head of Engineering & Platform Enablement the role will work to ensure world class technology solutions that enable business success by leading strategy and delivery for Engineering.
- Managing a direct team and budget of circa 50 resources, the role will support the outcomes of Vision ‘27 across Speed, Scale & Resilience whilst accelerating the build out and development of a world-class CTO capability that attracts, nurtures and retains talent.
- Lead a team of engineers responsible for the design and development of software and applications within CTO.
- Participate in the hiring process for new technology team members and provide guidance and mentorship to junior engineers.
- Ensure that the technology team is up to date with the latest technologies and tools and implement them where appropriate.
Leadership and Strategy Responsibilities
- Lead the Engineering team to successful delivery of business outcomes.
- Strong commercial awareness looking for ways to drive down RTB costs through automation, less TOIL and efficient use of Infrastructure.
- Ensure the company’s technologies are standardized an aligned to customer needs.
- Promote the Net Zero strategy for CTO embedding best practices and consistency across the organization.
- Work with Regional CTO leaders to capture regional business requirements whilst ensuring global consistency.
- Manage the associated budget, with ongoing focus on personnel, vendor, and capital expenditures.
- Build strong working relationships with Product Lines and business leaders to ensure teams meet expectations and contribute to achievement of business goals.
- Collaborate with CTO Exco business leaders to develop short- and long-term strategic plans.
- Support and facilitate innovative and experimental software development work to test new ideas, within bounded cost and time frames.
- Provide leadership, vision, and direction for the CTO organization.
- Work with product management leadership to design, manage, and/or execute product roadmaps.
Talent Management Responsibilities
- Develop workforce strategy to meet the organization’s current and future needs through developing, hiring, and/or sourcing talent.
- Manage resource allocation across teams to maximise business impact of resources and ensure each team has the skills and capabilities needed to achieve its objectives.
- Manage talent, playing a key role in performance management and compensation processes, role and competency definition, and diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
- Partner with CTO HR to create learning and development opportunities aligned to the organisation’s skill and capability needs, and to provide rewarding career paths for software Enablement staff.
- Recruit and hire talent to address new needs and skill gaps.
- Facilitate collaboration and partnership across teams and stakeholders.
- Build a culture that supports learning, collaboration, transparency, and inclusiveness.
- Manage employee engagement and promote a Manage employee engagement and promote a compelling employee value proposition to retain staff.
- Build and maintain the broad and diverse set of skills required to run the Engineering team.
- Provide strategic direction, leadership, support, guidance and management for the team.
- Functional leadership of IT managers and ensure best practices for team management.
- Strategic engagement with key 3rd parties and vendors to ensure a strong partnership is established for the strategic benefit of the Bank.
- Establish a robust communication and support mechanism across CTO, Technology and Business teams.
- Ensure the necessary resources are sourced to support demand.
- Ensure there is a strong colleague development framework in place including succession planning, diversity balance. nurturing, coaching, skills development and career progression.
Required skills and experience
- Proven industry experience of running an Engineering team including processes, technologies, challenges, strategy.
- Expertise in Strategy, Business Planning, Governance and Stakeholder Management.
- Knowledge of technology and technology trends, and the ability to provide technology consultancy to senior business heads.
- Established industry relationships with Executives at large technology vendors.
- Experience in planning and managing significant expenditure in a complex organisation.
- This role will operate in a global transformation capacity.
- This role will require detailed understanding of all business areas across the bank and relevant technology domains.
- The role will be responsible for developing thought leadership and best practice, including engagement with vendors / third parties.
- Ability to work across cultures and all locations in a complex, matrix organization.
As well as:
- Proven experience as a Head of Engineering in a banking or financial services organization.
- Strong technical knowledge of relevant technologies and DevOps ways of working.
- Excellent technical skills, with expertise in one or more programming languages, frameworks, and technologies.
- Experience with Agile methodologies and software development processes.
- Managing operational functions, directing process re-engineering and efficiency exercises.
- Strong people leadership, teamwork, gathering information and analysing, judgment and decision making, communication competencies.
- Ability to analyze complex technical and business problems and develop effective solutions.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to think strategically and analytically.
- Excellent leadership and team management skills, with the ability to motivate and inspire teams to achieve their goals.
- Strong leadership skills, with experience leading teams of engineers and architects.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Ability to influence teams to think “outside” the box and look at solutions / approaches outside traditional comfort zones.
- Leading and directing executive and non-executive work groups and effecting change through people.
- Able to manage a variety of senior stakeholder relationships and develop a trusting working relationship with them.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to articulate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Demonstrable success in understanding and delivering towards customer needs in large, global, complex organisations.
- Strong external vendor management skills.
- Strong ability to balance risks vs rewards and maximizing the cost effectiveness and profitability for the business.
- Good business sense and commercial acumen.
- Ability to continually question and reduce costs.
- Ability to work in an unstructured and changing environment.
- Strong drive to get things done and work in an environment with many moving parts but still find a way forward.
- Respectful of different cultures, working with colleagues from across all 5 regions (North America, LATAM, Middle East, Asia Pacific and Europe.
What you can expect:
- Annual performance-based bonus.
- Additional bonuses for recognition awards.
- Multisport card.
- Private medical care.
- Life insurance.
- Finance bonuses regarding hybrid work.
- Language classes.
- Financial support with trainings and education.
- Nursery and kindergarten discounts.
- CSR initiatives.
- Stock shares.
- Corporate parties & events.
Note: Prepare your CV in English (PDF), fill in the form, and apply! 🙂
Dotcommunity is registered in the Register of employment agencies (KRAZ) under number 9904.